We spend a lot more time sitting these days! It puts more stress on our bodies than they were designed for so here are some tips to try and make it easier.
If you would like some help with your posture, or you find it difficult to sit well because it causes you pain, give us a call.
- Make sure your back can rest fully against the back of the chair. If the bottom cushion catches you behind the knees, it’s too big.
- Sit upright and be conscious of the 3 curves to your spine.
- Ideally the chair should have a lumbar support and be height adjustable. Make sure the lower back is supported as you rest.
- The height of the chair should mean your hands rest on the middle of the keyboard.
- Armrests are ideal as they mean you can keep your forearms horizontal and relaxed, with less tension in your wrists.
- Your elbows should be close to your body and directly under your shoulders.
- Your feet should be able to touch the floor and you can use a footstool if you like.
- Your knees should not press against anything as you push the chair in fully.
- Your computer screen should be in the middle and not off to one side.
- You know you shouldn’t be cradling the phone between your shoulder and ear so try and break that habit!
- Take regular breaks, getting up and walking around every 20-30 minutes.